Saturday, December 27, 2008

Who Will Answer The Children?



The other day I was on a bus, and a little child, aged 3 was talking to the driver. She came out with the most profound statement. She said “The world is broken…Who broke it?” Those wise and powerful words hit me square in the chest. It visited me once again as I listened to Roots Manuva’s track “All Things To All Men”. I’ve been watching the violence going on in Burma over the last month, the floods in Uganda, the killing of Lucky Dube, and the bombing in Karachi that greeted Benazir Bhutto’s return and my soul sometimes becomes weak with despair.

When Marvin stated that the worlds situation should be rated X. Did we really take heed to the situations that our society has created? I, for one, am tired of our broken world. At times, as an adult I find myself paralyzed in a state of inaction. Wondering if my small gestures to others in the world around me will resonate sonically, and hug our ailing earth. I think a lot of other people feel this way. So some of us just stand still waiting for the other person to create the wave. We watch them create the internal humming, and perhaps let that sound vibrate and encourage movement to a peaceful state of mind.

So who will answer the voices of the children, who ask the questions?

In times like these I turn to the artists. I pick up my Marley, Lennon, and Gaye. Those are my three wise men. Nina, Joni, and Erykah, the oracles, who encourage me to lay still on the earth and listen for the eternal heartbeat. Stevie, Donny, and Al, who teach me to love, love, love, absolutely. 

I take comfort in my healing tunes. They help me understand that it can be possible for all of us to be the salve in the wounded world. It’s only lost if we continue to ignore the internal questions that we keep pushing down. That child’s question put into words what I feel but am too afraid to ask of even myself. Perhaps one day I will be brave enough to speak up answer another child’s questions and create my own wave.



No comments:

Post a Comment