Saturday, December 27, 2008

Canadian Snow Chants: My snowy Canuck musical nostalgia



The first snowfall of the season always evokes a serenity in me. As a native born Canuck it’s not unusual for Canadians for us to look forward to the first snowfall, as it usually ushers in the skiing, skating, and Christmas season. But the romanticism for most Canadians usually ends during the morning rush hour traffic fender benders that invariably come with the snow. We love the snow until it starts screwing with our daily hustle.

But there is something about slow falling softly on the branches of my favourite tree, the scent of oncoming snow pricking my nose, and white clouds emanating from the prehistoric like chimneys of the skyscrapers that makes me feel my Canadianess so strongly.

Snowy days and Gordon Lightfoot that make me fall in love with my homeland every time. As a child I can remember riding in the back of my Uncle Joe’s truck as I watched the snowy afternoon landscape drift by, and Gordon Lightfoot crooning “If you could read my mind…”, in his slow and crisp Canadian drawl. These were the times I would push back further into my seat and almost forget that I was living in the city. I’d close my eyes and watch the sunlight cast orange tinged warmth on my eyelids.

Most of my favourite snowy day songs are Canadian. Perhaps it’s because snow is synonymous with Canada. Huge snowdrifts hang in our consciousness. Our creative muse lies in the white puffs that we chant from our mouths in the morning chill.

Whenever I go for a long walk in snow during an early morning, my head rings with Cancon (Canadian Content) memories. Tragically Hip’s “Bobcaygeon”, Gino Vannelli’s “I Just Want to Stop”, Jane Siberry’s “Bound By The Beauty”, Joni Mitchell’s “Heija”, and Blue Rodeo’s “House Of Dreams”. I could never forget The Band’s Acadian Driftwood, for me this is the heart and soul of my Canadianess. This song always brings memories of afternoon tobogganing and hot chocolate that burnt my tongue, yet still tasted so good.

I always make an effort to stand outside in the morning or late afternoon to be still, lift my face to the sky and let the small snowflakes dance on my eyelashes, kiss my cheeks, and snuggle in my hair, as Canadian tunes play out in my head, my Canadianess sings ever so loudly in my blood. At these moments I’d rather be no where else on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment